Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Montmartre



I took a subway to the northern Paris neighborhood of Montmartre. There I wandered the bustling ancient streets and corridors with their cafes, nightclubs, and curious knick knack shops. I could not help but imagine that in this very neighborhood the likes of Modigliani, Picasso, Monet, and Dali used to conduct their everyday lives on these very streets. I made my way up to the summit of Montmartre, the highest point in the city, towards Basilica of the Sacré Cœur. The Sacre Coeur is beautiful and one of the easiest landmarks to recognize in Paris. Although the day was a bit hazy the view from the steps of the church was quite nice. Needless to say I did not take away with me divine inspiration or have an religious epiphany from my experince at the Sacre Coeur, what did stick in my mind did not have to do with the religious signifincance of the place, as much as a practical one. In the construction of the Basilica, Travertine stone was used. Travertine constantly exudes calcite which keeps the stone pure white, despite the heavy pollution and the weather.

No comments: